Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Spamming...

Spamming... 19 Jan 2007 10:13 #22428

• BumbleBee
  • Elite Member
  • Agh
Just tried to read a few threads over at .com and can't even read them! says "cannot connect to database" or something... and then the memberlist is "disabled due to spam" Spammers suck.

Let's keep flykm.com free of Spam!!!

If anybody sees anything around here which is a bit dodgy... let UltimateKylie, Robdon or myself know (you can pm me here or at .com, I'm 'BumbleBee' over there also). Hopefully they won't come here... but I saw some sick things tonight posted in Off topic which I'm guessing means they will stop at nothng and post it anywhere... *shudder*
Last Edit: 03 Feb 2007 00:14 by BumbleBee.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Spamming... 19 Jan 2007 15:44 #22431

Spam is a very serious threat, However FlyKM.com uses Visual Confirmation Tools when a user registers and only registered users may post a message.  Most spam is posted by computer bots, by using the Visual Confirmation only people that can visually confirm the random numbers/letters displayed can register.  Obviously we care for impared users, and legit people that cannot visually confirm are asked to contact me using the contact form under FlyKM and I will manually setup an account for them.

I will stay on my guard and promise to make FlyKM.com the best Kylie Minogue Forum and Fansite :)

Re: Spamming... 21 Jan 2007 23:28 #22433

• BumbleBee
  • Elite Member
  • Agh
The spam over there seems to be getting worse! Maybe they need to implement that visualisation programme so they too have a reduced amount.

Re: Spamming... 01 Mar 2007 22:46 #22531

• KylieUSA
  • Elite Member
Just tried to read a few threads over at .com and can't even read them! says "cannot connect to database" or something... and then the memberlist is "disabled due to spam" Spammers suck.

Let's keep flykm.com free of Spam!!!

If anybody sees anything around here which is a bit dodgy... let UltimateKylie, Robdon or myself know (you can pm me here or at .com, I'm 'BumbleBee' over there also). Hopefully they won't come here... but I saw some sick things tonight posted in Off topic which I'm guessing means they will stop at nothng and post it anywhere... *shudder*
Do we really need an off topic?

Re: Spamming... 01 Mar 2007 22:52 #22532

• KylieUSA
  • Elite Member
Spam is a very serious threat, However FlyKM.com uses Visual Confirmation Tools when a user registers and only registered users may post a message.   Most spam is posted by computer bots, by using the Visual Confirmation only people that can visually confirm the random numbers/letters displayed can register.   Obviously we care for impared users, and legit people that cannot visually confirm are asked to contact me using the contact form under FlyKM and I will manually setup an account for them.

I will stay on my guard and promise to make FlyKM.com the best Kylie Minogue Forum and Fansite :)
You have my full support Ultimate and if there anything I can help you with to make this the best site ever please let me know.

Re: Spamming... 03 Mar 2007 02:34 #22552

Thank you for your support :)  Just be vilgilant and if there are ever any issues with Spam or something that need to be Moderated you can email me or PM me or the other moderators.

Off Topic can be a great place to talk about other topics.  Sometimes Kylie fans have other topics or issues we agree on and enjoy to discuss.

Re: Spamming... 27 Mar 2007 03:28 #22634

• BumbleBee
  • Elite Member
  • Agh
Off topic is fun!!! Sometimes (especially if the world of Kylie is a little slow) it's great to talk about common interests also.

I'm pretty sure UltimateKylie has said before that there is no post count from Off Topic, so that kinda discourages members from posting rubbish.

Re: Spamming... 10 Apr 2007 15:04 #22850

• viper
The spam over there seems to be getting worse! Maybe they need to implement that visualisation programme so they too have a reduced amount.

If the term "over there" refers to .com, it was implemented even during the time when Eikichi and myself were the only two moderators. Evidently not a very effective mechanism.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Other mechanisms have been implemented since.
Last Edit: 10 Apr 2007 15:07 by viper.

Re: Spamming... 10 Apr 2007 17:39 #22852

I'm sure different things work for different websites.  We haven't had any spam on this site because we aren't that big.  But working on websites with Spam and I have always seen a huge drop when implementing Visual Confirmation of some sort.

This isn't to criticise .com as I think it is extremely well managed and Spam ultimately has had very little effect on me as a user there.

Oh, and welcome to the forum Viper :)
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds

Who's online

We have 19 guests and no members online